Monday, February 13, 2012

Out of touch


Living outside the U.S. these past few months has meant that I'm incredibly out of touch with what's going on in my home country.  I totally forgot about the Superbowl last weekend and I just today found out that the Grammy's took place last night.  Not that I was ever a big Superbowl or Grammy watcher.  As you may remember from this post, sporting events don't normally fall on my radar and I couldn't care less about who wins and who loses. The same goes for the Grammy's, which I haven't seen for years because I don't really listen to pop music. BUT I do find it disconcerting when I realize how out of the loop I am.  I haven't been following the political campaigning going on nor have I been abreast of what's going on in the world.   In short, I would be terrible at making water cooler talk with my American friends right about now.

I guess this is inevitable when you're an expat and it becomes difficult to keep one foot in each country.  Soon, I might not even care to know what's going on back home and that thought makes me feel a little weird.

But, as the Professor reminds me, there are some perks to being so out of the loop: For instance, I never have to hear the names Kardashian, Tebow, or Palin on a daily basis.   Looking at it from that perspective, I guess I should be grateful for small mercies. :)

(Photo: L.A. Tigar)

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog Odi!!! The last sentence cracked me up! hugs, michipooh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm completely jealous that you never have to hear about the Kardashian's. They are everywhere i turn....AND I DON'T HAVE CABLE!!!

    ReplyDelete