Friday, May 30, 2014

Scenes from our weekend

Last Friday afternoon, a friend and I were chatting about my blog and I mentioned to her that one of the reasons I started the 'Scenes from our weekend' series was so that I have an incentive to get up, get dressed and actually leave my apartment. I have hermit-like tendencies and I can't tell you how many weekend mornings the Professor asks me, 'What do you want to do today, love?' And I look up at him from my book or the TV, cup of tea in hand and say, 'I'm already doing it,dear.' So this series gives me the nudge I need (or kick in the pants more like) to make plans and follow through. With that goal in mind, we had some friends over Friday night for a FIFA video game tournament (USA vs. Mexico), went to a Beatles concert Saturday night, ate chocolate and hazelnut crepes, and caught an impromptu show in the park. Not too shabby for a recluse, eh?

Here are some scenes from our weekend:

Ladies and gentleman, I give you THE BEATLES! Or actually a Catalan cover band but a really good one. I found out about this concert called, 'The Beatles for kids', from the website Petit Explorador (if you live in Barcelona and have children, I recommend you check it out!). The band covered a bunch of the major Beatles hits from their early pop days like Love Me Do and Baby You Can Drive My Car but also some more mature songs for the parents like Strawberry Fields Forever and Hey Jude. There were so many babies, kids and parents singing along and dancing with their kids. Such fun!

This adorable spectacle happened when the band called for some volunteers from the audience to help them out as they sang 'All together now.' The kids were told to hold up the number or letter when they were mentioned in the song but as you can see, this was a bit much for some of the kids to understand and they just held up their sign whenever they wanted or not at all (ahem, number 3). 

The Professor and I were singing along and swaying in our seats but the little one's reaction was one more of, 'What's going on here? I don't understand.' He just stared with bewilderment and disinterest at the spectacle and rejected every single one of our attempts to get him to dance, clap or sing. The only time he showed any enthusiasm was when he discovered he could run up and down the aisles. So this he did. And he made us chase him as he squealed with delight. So the Professor and I spent twenty minutes of the concert chasing our baby to the tune of 'All you need is love.'

One of the great things about living here is there is always something going on but most of the time you don't know about it. You just go about your normal day and you stumble upon cool and weird things. Like men on stilts and a band on a wagon made up of two bicycles playing some swing type music at the park. Nice and unexpected, just the way we like it.

So that's what we've been up to lately. What did you guys do?

P.S. Here's what we did last weekend in case you missed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment