Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A happy event



So you may have noticed that I didn't write a 'Scenes from our weekend' post this week. That's because nothing happened last weekend. Apart from dining out with the Professor's colleagues one evening, we mostly stayed in and cleaned the house, did laundry, made zeppole and spoke to our parents on Skype.
Those kinds of weekends, while boring, are so restorative in my opinion. Do you agree?

I did want to share with you guys one thing from our weekend however. On Sunday afternoon, while the little one and his papa were napping, I was browsing Netflix very noncommittally, when I decided to watch a movie I'd never heard of. It's a French film called 'A Happy Event' (Un heureux évenément) which tells the story of a young couple who meet, fall in love, and decide to have a baby. It's an honest, intimate, and deep account of what it's like to become a parent and the joys and challenges that come along with that. I found the movie very accurate and there were a few scenes that reminded me exactly of my first year with my son. It's similar to Knocked Up but the storyline is not as 'Hollywood' and the characters are much more relatable and less caricatural. Here is a line that stood out for me in the movie as the mother describes how her daughter changed her life:

She upended my love, she drove me into a corner then forced me to go beyond my limits. She made me confront the absolute: love, sacrifice, tenderness, abandonment. She dislocated me. Transformed me.  

Profound, right? Anyway, I just wanted to share this gem with you guys in case you too are sitting at home bored and wondering what to watch. If you do see it, come back and tell me what you think, ok?

No comments:

Post a Comment