Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Scenes from our weekend

This weekend was a pretty big deal. On Saturday, our little prince turned one year old!!! Cue the ecstatic cheers mingled with nostalgic, 'my baby's all grown up' sobs. To celebrate his special day, we organized a little picnic with some friends in the park and it was a beautiful, perfect day. The weather cooperated, the food was yummy, and we even had some live music because there was a basketball tournament in the park that day that we didn't know about. The only slight hitch in the day was the fact that the birthday boy was just getting over a virus so he was a bit sick still and had a pinkish rash all over his face. We didn't take too many pictures, but here are a few:


You can´t really see it very well because our friend's hand is covering it, but we made a carrot cake which was a big hit with everyone at the party. I was kind of nervous about it because I'm not much of a baker and I had never made this recipe before but it turned out awesome. We used this recipe from The Kitchn except that  I modified the recipe a bit by adding grated ginger and crushed walnuts and I didn't use any butter in the frosting. You can tell by the little one's expression that he couldn't wait for the song to be over so he could dive right into that cake. And dive in he did. If you look closely, you can see that he managed to get frosting all over his pants and foot. 



When we moved to Barcelona a year and a half ago, we didn't know anybody. We had no family here and no friends. So when I look at this picture, I feel so grateful that we've had the privilege to get to know so many awesome people. Now we have actual friends (!) who we can celebrate major life milestones with. I also love that our group of friends is so varied. We have in this picture: an American family, a Catalan family, a Mexican couple and a Persian girl. I love knowing that Roman will grow up exposed to many diverse backgrounds, like the Professor and I did growing up in Miami. 

I told you we didn't take that many pictures. Anyway, that's what we've been up to. What did you guys do?

P.S. Here's what we did last weekend in case you missed it. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a super fun group of people. Can't wait to meet them. I love the diversity. Wish I could have been there for the first bday. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete