Friday, June 1, 2012

Is that a watermelon in your shirt or are you just 33 weeks pregnant?


As of today, I'm officially 33 weeks pregnant!  I realize it's been a really long time since I last posted a bump shot (I seem to have grown around three times since then) so I thought I'd treat you guys to a little peak.  I can't tell you how happy we are knowing that we're just 7 weeks (approximately) away from this little one's big day.  Finally, we're in the single digits!

Not only are we terribly excited to finally meet our little footballer/kickboxer/gymnast/insomniac,but we're also looking forward to being done with this pregnancy. Seriously. BOTH the Professor and I are looking forward to it being over.  Sadly, this trimester has not been as easy as the first two.  I'm still in excellent health and I've been eating well and trying to exercise whenever possible.  But this trimester has also had its challenges.  For one, now that my stomach has grown so much, I've gotten terrible lower back pain which is aggravated by the fact that I have mild scoliosis. If I sit, stand or lie in one position for too long, I feel an incredible pressure on my lower back that won't go away.  When I do manage to fall asleep (which is only in those brief hours when I'm not suffering from restless leg syndrome, terrible acid reflux, or getting up to use the bathroom for the fourth time),  I try to sleep on my side as most doctors recommend.  The problem with this is that then I wake up with bad pain in my shoulders which have been supporting my weight all night.  Lately, there's also been the addition of two more fun symptoms (both super common in the third trimester):  shortness of breath and constipation. Yippee.

Part of me feels really terrible complaining because I know all of this is natural and normal and I know that I'm going through all of this for my baby and that it's all going to be worth it in the end.  And I keep repeating this to myself whenever I find myself whining.  But sometimes when you haven't slept well in days and everything aches and hurts, it's pretty easy to get frustrated and get crabby (or even a little psycho).  I feel a little guilty in admitting this, but I've taken my frustration out on the Professor a few times when I've been in my darkest moments. One day, I had slept a total of 3 hours because my acid reflux was so bad it felt like I had swallowed a knife and, on top of that, my back was killing me.  I finally gave up trying to sleep and decided to hang out in the living room and watch tv while googling my symptoms and looking up home remedies.  By nine o'clock in the morning, I had been up for over six hours while my unsuspecting husband slept peacefully and painlessly like a log in our comfy bed.  In a fit of anger and jealousy, I marched over to our bedroom, threw the covers off him and yelled, "That's it! You get up RIGHT now! If I'M going to suffer for our baby, YOU'RE going to suffer for our baby too!"   My bleary-eyed but understanding husband sat up, held me and started rubbing my back while I cried on his shoulder.  Then he went out and bought me antacids (which I have to take at least a few times a week) and one of me and the baby's favorite things---watermelon!

It is my fervent belief that every woman who carries a little one inside her for 9 months deserves a huge parade in her honor.  It is also my fervent belief that there are very few problems in the world that can't be solved with hugs, love, and a juicy, sweet watermelon.  

4 comments:

  1. lol! ahhh sleep deprivation ... the root of most irrational behaviour, in my opinion. I'm not even pregnant and I get super duper grumpy if I'm lacking sleep. I can totally picture that scenario happening with Aaron and I, right down to his understanding back rubbing haha! Sorry to hear it's been a rough go for you lately :( Don't feel too bad about complaining though, just because it's natural or for a fantastic end doesn't make it any less crappy when you're experiencing it! And 9 months of it (or some variation)!

    P.S. You look fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sounds like your sleepy reaction is my hungry reaction! It's great that you have the professor to comfort you when you need it. =) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is the cutest watermelonbaby ever!! can't wait to meet el bebe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, thanks Kerry and Neda! :0

    ReplyDelete