Monday, April 16, 2012

Making a house a home


 


I meant to post these pictures last week but painting the house took longer than we thought because the weather in Barcelona last week was not cooperating (hello April thunderstorms!).  I'm not sure if you can tell by these photos, but the apartment has finally been painted.  This is what it looked like before.  Most people are surprised that we spent the time and money painting the entire apartment (it's 700 square feet!) but I happen to believe that paint is a really easy way to make a significant difference in your home and impart a little of your personality into your space.  Plus, the owner said we could do whatever we want as long as we don't screw anything up.  I personally think we did the guy a huge favor because in addition to painting, we also had to patch up some holes and cracks in the walls.

The pictures above show the living room and dining room.  For the dining room, we bought this beautiful wooden table. It's actually an antique that we bought from some guy who was redecorating his entire apartment.  I think the table used to be a desk because it has two drawers in the front which we use for storing tablecloths, place mats, and some office supplies.  Because the table is old and kind of rustic looking, I wanted to balance it out by pairing it with some modern white chairs which we bought (on sale!) at Habitat.  The Professor also spent last week building us this white, wooden storage bench, which not only provides seating for three people on one side but also stores everything from tools to Christmas ornaments.  I'm planning on buying some cushions to put on the bench to create a bit of a cozier feel and add a few punches of color and pattern.  We were also thinking of hanging a large mirror horizontally on the wall behind the table but I haven't found the right one yet.

Apart from the dark grey accent wall and the addition of the beige linen sofa (the Karlstad from IKEA), the living room hasn't really undergone any major changes. We're planning on buying a beige shag rug to put in front of the couch and are hoping to find a few accent pieces such as occasional chairs, accent tables and a few lamps to finish the look.  In case you couldn't tell, it takes me a lot of time to commit to a design scheme and even more time to track down the pieces I like.   This is both because I love unique pieces and also because I hate paying full price for anything.  Which means I spend most of my time popping into thrift stores, scouring antique fairs, and hunting down sales and clearance sections before I buy something.  And that means that this space will constantly evolve as I find new treasures.

So this is what we've been up to.  What do you guys think?

3 comments:

  1. I can say the decorator soul deep inside of you came out to full shine!!Love it.. and in Italy dinner table used to come with a drawer to organize tablecloths etc...maybe the same happen in Spain!
    Hugs!!!
    Ale

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Looks great! I love how the bench at the kitchen table doubles as storage!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really coming along beautifully.

    ReplyDelete