Friday, December 16, 2011

Home is wherever I'm with you


In my last year of graduate school, I took a class on migration and identity.  In our class discussions, we mostly focused on what the concept of "home" means to people who have left their countries of origin to set up home in a brand new place.  Where do these immigrants call home?  Is it the place they left behind? The place with their families, their native tongue or their native foods?  Or is it the place that they move to?  With their new friends, their newly acquired customs and their second language?

As the Professor and I get ready to move to Spain (we officially become immigrants this Sunday!),  I keep thinking about these questions of home.  Although, we'll be leaving behind all of our family and all of our friends, we'll still have each other.  And while I'll always refer to trips back to Miami as "going home,"  I can't wait to set up a new home with my husband and our cat.

I wanted to share the song above with you guys. It's by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes and it makes me happy every time I hear it.   I think this song perfectly captures my feelings of what home is---it's wherever your loved ones are.

(Video:  Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros "Home" from Edward Sharpe on Vimeo)

1 comment:

  1. You know, I was thinking of that too, in relation to Gee. Home is where our hearts are - home is Miami - home is my sisters and dad, home is with Gee.

    ReplyDelete