Friday, September 30, 2011

Calling all chocolate lovers



It's my birthday this weekend and I'm super excited. Not about the gifts so much. Or the singing. More about the fact that I get to spend the whole day with my family and friends.  Before the Professor and I moved to Miami in August, we'd lived far away from home for six years and only saw my family on the holidays. When we move to Spain, it'll be increasingly unlikely that we can travel back to Miami every first weekend of October to celebrate my birthday with our loved ones. That's why this weekend is so extra special to me. 

So, what's on the agenda? Not much actually. I think we'll just do a quiet dinner and then cake and presents.  In my family, we have a little tradition where we always celebrate birthdays by eating the favorite dessert of whoever's birthday it is.   Everyone in my family has a different favorite dessert and sometimes it's not even a cake. For instance, my dad loves key lime pie and my sister loves tiramisu (in case you couldn't tell, my favorite dessert is anything involving chocolate).  I never realized that this practice was specific to my family until I met my husband.  His family buys the same white cake from the same Cuban bakery no matter whose birthday it is or what kind of cake they like. Weird, eh?  I also know people who always make birthday cakes for their loved ones from scratch.  In my family, birthday treats were always store-bought, perhaps because neither of my parents were much in the baking department. I personally think this last tradition is super sweet and I'd want to do this for my future children. 

What about you guys? Any special birthday traditions? And what are your favorite birthday treats?

5 comments:

  1. That's a great tradition (makes perfect sense, I don't know why more people don't do it haha)! Have a great birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you had a great birthday!
    I do have birthday tradition and (of course!) it involves food... :) I love eating fresh fruit cake (I was born on 15th July..)!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! Hope you enjoyed your day! Btw, those pictures look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Kiana!! Also, @Lara, I like your fresh fruit cake idea! What a refreshing summer treat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How was your birthday, Kiana? Btw - the chocolate dollops on Cake number two look strikingly similar to Tamagotchi poop: http://images.wikia.com/tamagotchi/images/8/82/Tamagotchi-poop.gif

    Delicious, delicious tamagotchi poop.

    ReplyDelete