Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sweet couscous


First of all, thank you again to everyone who commented on yesterday's post. The Professor and I feel so lucky to be embarking on this newest adventure with such a supportive network of family, friends, and online friends!

Today I wanted to share with you guys a recipe for a dish I thought I invented in a moment when I desperately craved something sweet and carbohydrate-rich which I could make fast and without needing to go to the store.  The result, sweet couscous, was so delicious and ridiculously easy that I thought I had invented the perfect breakfast or mid-day snack. But alas! I found similar recipes for sweet couscous online like this one.

Before getting into the recipe, I must first say that couscous has been a staple in my pantry ever since I discovered it in college.  It's easier to make than pasta or rice and takes much less time to cook.  If you can boil water and have five minutes to spare, you can make couscous.  Prior to "inventing" this dish, I had always used couscous as a side dish, normally tossed with veggies and some kind of bean.  But one day last week, about to make my usual couscous, cucumber and garbanzo bean salad, I had a brainwave.  Why not put a little sugar in the boiling water along with a cinnamon stick? And how about adding raisins and dried apricots?    And just like that, sweet couscous with golden raisins and cinnamon was born!

Recipe (makes two servings)

You will need:
1 cup of plain, unseasoned couscous
1 cup of water
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 cup raisins, dried fruit or nuts (or all three!)
1/4 cup of sugar
1/4 cup milk (optional)
1 pinch of salt


Directions:
1.  In a small saucepan, bring the water to boil.
2.  Once the water boils, add a pinch of salt, the cinnamon stick and the sugar. Stir to dissolve.
3.  Add the couscous, dried fruit and nuts, and stir.
4.  Remove saucepan from heat.
5.  If you prefer your couscous to be a little creamy, add the milk now.
6. After five to ten minutes, fluff couscous with a fork and remove the cinnamon stick.
7.  Optional:  Sprinkle some extra cinnamon and sugar on top!

As you can see this dish is very easy and remarkably flexible. You can play around with ingredients like adding cardamom pods or cloves along with the cinnamon stick or adding fresh fruit or even heavy cream to the finished product. The possibilities are endless!

Hope you guys enjoy! Buen provecho!

1 comment:

  1. I'm eating oatmeal as I'm reading this and feel jipped!

    Noms!

    ReplyDelete