Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Around here lately...

Sorry things have been so quiet on the blog recently! I actually have so many things to share with you guys but I fell victim to the debilitating disease known as procrastination. For me, procrastination feels a bit like how I imagine it would feel if someone performed a Confundus charm on you, you know? You have so many things to do, you're about to dive in, but suddenly, for no apparent reason that you can think of, you decide to drop all of the productive things you were about to do and start rearranging your books by color or picking the lint off your socks. So anyway, sorry little blog for my neglect.

To catch you up, three weeks ago we arrived back in Barcelona after a month long trip to Miami for the holidays. Miami was great: we spent time with family, saw friends, ate too much, shopped too much, watched too much tv, and generally had a wonderful time. I won't share any pictures of our trip though since they're mostly just Roman hugging (or refusing to hug) various family members. It'd be a bit boring of a recap, so I'll spare you. But! I do have some pictures to share from our recent trip to Palma de Mallorca so that will be up in a few days.

In the meantime, I thought I'd share some pictures of what we've been up to lately around here, so here goes!

This is a shot of the trees just outside my living room window. They're actually more like the skeletons of trees, and I for one, find them beautiful. The branches and twigs jutting out in different directions and the way they intersect and intertwine in a great big tangle reminds me a bit of a bird's nest. And to think that just two months ago, these same trees looked... 

...like this! One thing I love about living in Barcelona as opposed to Miami, is that we get to experience seasons! I now get to bitch about the winter just like everyone else! 

No matter the weather, kids still want to play outside. Roman especially, has always been mysteriously impervious to cold. The kid will kick off a blanket, pull of his socks, and run around buck naked if we'd let him (but don't worry, we don't!). Notice that we're the only nutters at the park though. Everyone else, sensibly, stayed inside that day. 

When we first got back to Barcelona from Miami, the extreme change in weather from balmy and tropical to wet and chilly meant that we all came down with a cold. First me, then the little one, then the Professor, just like dominoes. Our house was unkempt and wads of used Kleenex littered the nightstands and bookshelves (eww, I know). I decided that flowers would be the best way of injecting a little health and beauty into the place. Even though I still have a runny nose and can't breathe properly at night unless propped up, I think my pretty tulips do help put me in a better frame of mind. 

On the days where it's too cold or rainy to go the park, we wander the neighborhood looking for a warm place to camp out for a few hours with some tea and coffee and a chocolate milk for the little one. On Saturday, we discovered this newly opened family friendly cafe which is located right next to Parque de la EspaƱa Industrial on Calle Muntadas. It has cute high chairs, a little coloring corner, and Legos which kept Roman entertained for an hour or two while the Professor and I chatted and flipped through magazines. 

Winter days can mean you're cooped up in the house for long hours, probably just loafing around and watching TV. You can break the cycle of boredom by busting out the board games. Here is the Professor kicking my butt for the third time in a row at Connect 4. I wish I could say that I lost because I was distracted and trying to keep Roman from licking a garbage can (which has happened), but in truth, I just suck at this game. 

Finally, over the weekend we changed Roman's crib into a toddler bed. We thought it was about time because while we were in Miami, he figured out how to climb out of his crib and he'd been doing it every chance he got. Sometimes he stacked his stuffed animals on top of each other and climbed over them and sometimes he just catapulted himself out with us having no idea how he managed it. One minute he'd be in there and the next minute he'd be coming to find us, doing his pouty cry and clutching his stuffed tiger. What an escape artist, that kid. I can picture him in there, like Steve McQueen, bouncing a baseball off the opposite wall and plotting. The transition to a toddler bed is only half completed though because we decided to push his bed against ours so that he's semi-trapped in there and so he feels that he's close to us without actually being in our bed. We figure eventually we can push his bed back against the wall where it normally is. I'll keep you all posted.

So that's what's new over here. How have you guys been?

2 comments:

  1. ditto.. i love the changing seasons.. I ache for summer when the winter winds blow and dream of snowman's when it gets too hot..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I guess it's normal to never be satisfied. hope you're keeping warm!

      Delete