Monday, January 23, 2012

Scenes from our weekend...




This past weekend was the first time the Professor and I acted like tourists in our new home city.  To many of our family and friends back home, it's a little odd that we've been here for over a month now and still haven't seen many of the amazing sites this city has to offer.  For the Professor and I, the delay is pretty normal. First of all, the Professor works Monday through Friday so we only have the weekends to site-see and our weekends are normally spent doing fairly quotidian things like making trips to IKEA and going grocery shopping.  Second of all, the Professor and I have the habit of avoiding touristy things anywhere we go. When we were in Paris last year, we enjoyed the museums, the parks, and visited the Eiffel Tower, but we were more interested in walking along tiny, residential streets and window shopping or people watching from a cafe terrace or spending  hours sprawled on the grass in a local park having a picnic.  I'm just not that big a fan of bustling around from one must-see site to another which I find makes a vacation feel more like work rather than fun.

Nevertheless, over the weekend, we decided to take advantage of the sunny skies and warmer temperatures and venture out to the famed, Parc Güell.  This is an enormous park designed by the artist/architect Antoni Gaudi, whose work is scattered all over the city.  This whimsical park makes you feel like you're in a child's dream.  There are parts that look like gingerbread houses with meringue icing on top and parts that look like they belong under the sea.  The Professor and I spent our Saturday afternoon strolling about the park, snapping pictures, watching the local performers and taking a break for some lunch.  Then we walked from the park to perhaps the most famous Gaudi structure, La Sagrada Familia (the Sacred Family).  This cathedral,seen in the last photograph above, is breathtaking and very unique.  It is probably the most unusual building I've seen up to this point.  It's facade is something rough and hard and full of sharp edges. It's almost intimidating, which may well be the point--I wouldn't know.

After all that walking, we went home for some home-cooked dinner and the Professor and I curled up on the couch, watched a movie and slept in the next morning.  Overall, it was a pretty calm and relaxing weekend.

What did you guys do?

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a great weekend. It was snowy and cold in Canada and I feel like I spent most of my days doing laundry and cleaning house. This weekend we are off to Vermont so it promises to be a bit more exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Emma I hope you enjoy your trip! And don't work too hard--you're a pregnant lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! Is the gingerbread house looking thing there year round? I think I know where I wanna be an American in Spain.

    ReplyDelete