Thursday, January 26, 2012

Nooks and crannies

I've been puzzling over what to do with the dining room area for about a week now. I know, I know. You thought that after I wrote this post last week, I had it all together. It seemed like I knew exactly what I wanted to do. But now I'm having second thoughts after some reader suggestions.  Remember how I originally planned to put a round table with a pedestal base in this space? Well, some people wrote to me and told me that if I'm planning on doing the banquette idea, I should probably do a rectangular table so that people sitting on both ends of the banquette would have adequate table space.  This makes complete sense and I'm surprised it didn't occur to me before. However that's what reader feedback is for! Except now I find myself staring at the space constantly, trying to imagine what it would look like if it had a round table vs. a rectangular table.   The only problem is that I have a pretty terrible imagination and I can't quite picture it.  Fortunately for me, I've managed to amass some dining nook inspiration photos from Pinterest to help me get a better idea of what the finished room could/should look like.  Here are a few of my favorites:




The recurring theme seems to be that no matter what size table you get (round, square or rectangular), the nook idea seems to work best if you have a table with a pedestal base.  The reason for this (I'm guessing) is so that people can scoot in and out without banging their legs into the table legs and so that people have adequate leg room.  With this new observation in mind, I'm going to keep my eyes open for a table that meets these requirements.  It may take awhile to find what we're looking for but I'll be sure to keep you guys posted. After all, that's what a blog is for--to keep my family, friends, and total strangers apprised of my most  trivial and insignificant thoughts :)


2 comments:

  1. i found your blog through a cup of jo and i love these little nooks and crannies! your blog is adorable!


    drop by allister bee soon!

    enter my giveaway for an amazing shabby apple dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read the rectangular table comment in your prior post, I had my doubts about it, but these pictures have eradicated my doubts. =) I think a rectangular table is the way to go. I particularly like the feel and the set up of the one in the second picture (the one with the hanging spoon).

    PS - I now need a hanging spoon.

    ReplyDelete