Sunday, September 18, 2011

Remembering Chile

When I was in college, I couldn't afford to study abroad somewhere glamorous like Spain, France, Italy, or Argentina.  Every summer vacation, I took classes and worked at a nice on-campus job where all I did was answer the phone and study while earning minimum wage.  When I got my pittance of a paycheck, instead of hitting the mall, I hit the books.  I was determined to save money so that when I graduated, I could go and do whatever I wanted. I could travel, enjoy life, and work and figure out what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. Fortunately this studious and ascetic period in my life reaped its rewards. When I graduated, I booked a ticket to Chile where I would spend two months touring the country, seeing amazing landscapes, getting an education in good seafood and good wine, meeting close and distant family members for the first time, and being charmed to death by the warm, generous, and welcoming people of Chile.

These are some of my memories, in case you'd like to see:

The skyline of Chile's capital, Santiago. The stark contrast of the huge metropolis and the snow-capped mountains hovering above reminds you constantly of lifes' contradictions.


La plaza de armas. A place to stroll aimlessly and buy street food and coffee, take in an impromptu street show, support a local artisan, or simply feed the pigeons.


The Magellan Strait.  An electric blue stretch of water which often seems to blend into the sky.

Puerto Natales. A small, picturesque, port city in the south of Chile.  These brightly colored boats brave the winter cold to catch the freshest fish.  Served with a glass of local wine, it doesn't get any better.


A very happy Independence Day to all. May there be much laughing, eating, and drinking. Especially drinking.   :)


(Photos:  Kiana @ The Barcelona Story)

2 comments: